The interior and exterior renovations, which began in over 5 years ago, to the 1828 Historic Hunterdon County Courthouse are almost complete.
Best known as the site of the 1935 Lindbergh kidnapping trial of Bruno Hauptmann, the Hunterdon County Courthouse has statewide significance as the oldest surviving county courthouse in New Jersey and is a fine example of temple-form Greek Revival architecture.
In 2000, the outside renovations were completed with the help from a grant received from the New Jersey Historic Trust. Cost was approximately $1.5 million to complete. The renovations included stucco and masonry work, roof and window repair and replacement; and drainage improvements.
The $4.2 million interior project began over a year ago. Work to bring the historic courtroom, jail, and other office space back to its prime, included re-plastering and repainting walls; installing tin ceiling and wall tiles; refurbishing wood floors, audience benches, judges bench, jury chairs and other wood work and moldings; and making the building handicapped accessible. Since the courthouse was so well documented from photos of the Hauptmann trial a lot of the restoration was done through the old photographs.
Additional information regarding the project can be obtained by visiting Preservation Online, the Online Magazine of the National Trust for Historic Preservation or you may contact Frank J. Bell, Hunterdon County Architect and Project Manger at 908-788-1568 or email him firstname.lastname@example.org