Applicants holding lifetime New Jersey instructional certificates may substitute without applying for the substitute certificate. This also applies to applicants holding a Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing or Certificates of Eligibility. The procedure for County Substitute Certificate is as follows :
- Application Form – applicant must complete area marked “To be Completed by Applicant” – School district is required to complete section “For District Use Only”.
- Official Transcripts – supporting a minimum of 60 college credits from a regionally accredited college. (Also indicate maiden name on application if transcripts appear under maiden name.)
- Notarized Oath of Allegiance. (Non Citizens must sign a NON CITIZEN OATH)
- Fee - $125.00, Check, Money Order or Certified Check payable to: “Commissioner of Education”.
No cash will be accepted.
Applicant brings 1, 2, 3, and 4 to their hiring school district. District will send application to county office pending criminal history clearance.
(There are additional fees for fingerprinting and Administration Fees for Criminal History.)
- Rehire – Applicant brings 1, 3 & 4 to their School District. District will verify that applicant has been in continuous employment, and provides board date of rehire.
- Nurse Substitutes: Must also submit copy of valid NJ RN License. If a substitute nurse wants to also substitute teach, college transcripts must also be submitted.
- Vocational Substitute Certificate -May be issued to applicant on the basis of appropriate work experience in lieu of 60 semester hour college credits. Work experience should be substantiated by a notarized statement of experience form. The Vocational Superintendent is required to evaluate your occupational experience.
- If an Emergent Hire is needed – District shall attach the Emergent Hire Request Form, Board Minutes and Authorization of Criminal History Form to county office.
- Lost Substitute Certificate -Submit a completed application, $60.00 replacement fee, along with notarized Statement of Loss to the county office where certificate was originally issued.
A substitute may serve no more than 20 consecutive days in the same classroom
If you wish to substitute at an additional Hunterdon County school district, present your valid sub certificate to that district for Board approval.
All sub certificates are issued for a 5 year period expiring July 1st or January 2nd of the fifth year. It is the applicants’ responsibility to track their own expiration date. The district is required to track its’ own substitutes.
OUR LOCATION :
Hunterdon County Superintendent of Schools
P.O. Box 2900, 10 Court Street
Flemington, NJ 08822-2900