|Home | Hunterdon's Municipalities | County Map | Hunterdon County and Municipal Directory | Borough of Stockton|
The Borough of Stockton
538 (2010 census)
Mayor Timothy Nemeth
Borough Council Meetings
Clerk Michele Hovan
Animal Control Officer Tim Davis
Auditor Suplee, Clooney & Co.
Board of Health Secretary Donna Griffiths
Building Subcode Official Phil Izzo
Construction Official Phil Izzo
Electrical Subcode Official Pete Buchanan, c/o Delaware Township
Engineer Dennis O’Neal, Ferriero Engineering
Fire Chief Rick Hendricks
Subcode Fire Official Phil Izzo
Municipal Court Stockton Municipal Court, PO Box 4, Ringoes, NJ 08551
OEM Coordinator Gregory Cook
Plumbing Subcode Official Hugo John Borst
Police Department New Jersey State Police,
Kingwood Barracks, Flemington, NJ 08822
Recycling Coordinator Rick Smith
Registrar of Vital Statistics Michele Hovan
Tax Assessor Michelle Trivigno
Tax Collector Donna Griffiths
Utilities Authority Donna Griffiths
Welfare Director Hunterdon County Division of Social Services,
6 Gauntt Place, Flemington, NJ 08822
Zoning Officer Robert Miller
Stockton, located along the Delaware River north of Lambertville, was first known as Reading Ferry and subsequently Howell's Ferry. With the arrival of the railroad, the name was changed to Centre Bridge Station which corresponded to the post office and hamlet on the Pennsylvania side of the river. With the establishment of its own post office in 1851, the village was renamed Stockton. The Borough was incorporated in 1898, having been separated from Delaware Township.
The tiny town remains today as it was in the eighteenth century. for all its small size and charm, the town is presided over by an old inn. The Stockton Inn (formally known as Colligan's Stockton Inn), established in 1710, is the inn that was immortalized by Richard Rodgers in the song "There's a small hotel with a wishing well", sung in the Broadway play "On Your Toes". The inn was first built as a private residence and it is believed to have been converted in 1832.
The Delaware River Mill Society was formed to preserve and promote the buildings and site known as the Prallsville Mills. John Prall, Jr., became the owner of the site in 1794 and with his settlement the area became known as Prallsville.
Also in Stockton you will find the oldest, established in 1872, three room school house in New Jersey that is still in operation today. The school has been educating students in Stockton in grades kindergarten through the sixth grade for the past 165 plus years. Stockton School is well known for its small classes that give individual attention to each student and is compared frequently with local private schools.
|Home | County Map | Municipal Index | Borough of Stockton|