|Home | Hunterdon's Municipalities | County Map | 2013 Hunterdon County and Municipal Directory | City of Lambertville|
3,906 (2010 Cenus)
Mayor David M. DelVecchio
Animal Control Officer Nate Barson
Auditor Robert R. Cagnassola, Suplee, Clooney & Company
Board of Adjustment
Board of Health
Building Subcode Official Ken Rogers
Construction Official Ken Rogers
Electrical Subcode Official Victor Timpenaro
Engineer Christine Ballard,
Fire Chief Matthew Hartigan
Fire Department Board Secretary
Fire Subcode Official Ken Rogers
Historian Lou Toboz
OEM Coordinator David Burd
Plumbing Subcode Official Tim Dieterman
Police Department Lambertville Police Department
Public Works, Acting Director Lester Myers
Recycling Coordinator Lester Myers
Registrar of Vital Statistics Cynthia L. Ege
Rescue Squad Chief Jason Strauss
Senior, Disabilities & Veterans Services Marie Rossiter
SWAC Coordinator Paul Cronce
Tax Assessor Richard J. Carmosino
Tax Collector Cynthia McBride
Welfare Director Helen Kuhl
Zoning Officer John Barczyk
The City of Lambertville
Lambertville is located on the Delaware River in the southwestern portion of the county. During the 1700's, the City was named after various operators of ferries across the river to Pennsylvania, ultimately becoming known as Coryell's Ferry, after Emanuel Coryell who owned the Ferry. Coryell's Ferry was the western terminus of the New Jersey portion of the York Road (which is now known as Route 202) connecting New York and Philadelphia. The City was named Lambertville in 1814 when the post office was established and honored the Honorable John Lambert, a local resident and United States Senator.
The Delaware River and the Delaware/Raritan Canal were instrumental in the posterity of Lambertville. In June 1834, the opening of the canal was celebrated with a barge ride from Trenton to Lambertville. The canal's completion was not without hardship. 4000 Irish immigrants were hired to dig the canal with pick and shovel. During the construction an epidemic of Cholera broke out and dozens of men were buried along the banks of the canal and the Delaware River.
After nearly 40 years as a defeating operation, the canal was taken over by the State. In 1974 the canal became a State Park administered by the Delaware/Raritan Canal Commission.
Lambertville was the home of James Marshall who found gold at Sutters Mill, California, and has been credited as starting the Gold Rush. The Marshall Home is maintained by the Lambertville Historical Society and is open for tours on Sundays in May through October. The Marshall House is located at 62 Bridge Street. (See map for further directions and additional City landmarks). Other tours available include the Annual House Tour (held on the 3rd Sunday in October) and the Garden Tour (held on June 1st), both showcasing the victorian elegance of the City. Contact the Historical Society for additional information at 609-397-0770.
Lambertville is known for its many galleries, antique shops and restaurants. This contributes to a sense that Lambertville continues to be a small American City. Perhaps the most notable fact in Lambertville that the new growth has not replaced the old community charm. Here, where industry thrived before much of the nation had broken ground, we can find country atmosphere mixed with city convenience and sophistication.
The City was named one of the Prettiest Towns in America by Forbes Magazine in the Fall of 2013
The 225 anniversary of the Battle of Monmouth occurred in 2003. In 1778 General George Washington crossed the Delaware from Pennsylvania into Lambertville with 10,000 men. The soldiers stopped at the "Ferry House" (now a Japanese Restaurant) to drink from the well there. Washington and his officials were entertained by the Holcombe family at the home now owned by the Clossen Family - Homestead Market.
For more information on the Battle of Monmouth or other American Revolution Battles visit: http://www.scc.rutgers.edu/njh/AmericanRevolution/monmouth.htm
|Home | County Map | Municipal Index|