|Home | Hunterdon's Municipalities |Township of Kingwood | History of Kingwood Township|
|KINGWOOD TOWNSHIP HISTORY|
OLD STONE MEETING HOUSE
The Old Stone Meeting House, located on the corner of Route 519 and Oak Summit Road, established in 1754, when Lawrence Hoff, the owner of an adjoining plantation, granted 1 1/4 acres to James Barcalow, Charles Hoff and Henry Cock, Trustees of Presbyterian Congregation of Kingwood. Mr. Hoff was a member of the Readington Reformed Church until he moved to western Hunterdon County.
The original church was constructed in the grave yard across Oak Summit Road from the present structure. For a period of 10 days in December of 1778, the Continental Army camped at the church and on surrounding plantations, while transporting British and Hessian prisoners to Virginia.
The condition of the
original church deteriorated in the years during and after the Revolution, so
the Presbyterians built the present structure in 1837, using some of the stones
from the old church.
|OAK SUMMIT SCHOOL|
The Oak Summit one-room Schoolhouse
was built about 1869 on land donated by the Hoff family. The structure is about
30 feet by 40 feet and could house up to 40 students.
For more information on the Oak Summit School
THE OAK SUMMIT CEMETERY
The Oak Summit Cemetery was established at about the same time as the Presbyterian Church and contains the graves of many early pioneers and prominent citizens of Kingwood Township. The last known burial was in 1914. The Prospect Hill Cemetery Association now owns this property.
This cemetery contains the remains of at least four Civil War Veterans and five veterans of the American Revolution.
One of the most recognizable figures in Hunterdon's history is that of Colonel Thomas L. Lowrey, whose remains were laid to rest at the Oak Summit Cemetery in 1809. Lowery served as a supply officer and was named as a Colonel in the New Jersey Militia during the Revolution. Lowery was the first cousin of William Patterson who became the Governor of New Jersey.
Colonel Lowery married Ester Fleming, the eldest daughter of Samuel Fleming whom the town of Flemington was named. Lowery was elected to the first provincial Congress for New Jersey in 1775. He served in the New Jersey Assembly in 1791 and 1792. He was a member of the Hunterdon County Board of Chosen Freeholders from 1791 to 1794 during which the first courthouse was built in Flemington and he also served as a US Marshal from 1791 to 1803.