|Home | Hunterdon's Municipalities | County Map | 2013 Hunterdon County and Municipal Directory |Township of Delaware|
POPULATION: 4,563 (2010 Census)
Mayor Donald Scholl
Clerk Judith A. Allen, RMC
Agricultural Development Board Charles Fisher
Animal Control Officer Nathaniel Barson
Auditor William M. Colantano, Jr.
Board of Adjustment
Board of Health
Building Subcode Official Phillip Izzo
Construction Official Phillip Izzo
Electrical Subcode Official Peter Buchanan
Engineer C. Richard Roseberry, P.E.
Fire Chief William Powell
Fire Department Sergeantsville Volunteer Fire Company
Fire Marshal State of New Jersey
Fire Subcode Official Phillip Izzo
OEM Coordinator Edward Ziolkowski
Open Space Coordinator James Borders
Plumbing Subcode Official John Hugo Borst
Police Chief Edward Ziolkowski
Police Department Delaware Township Police, PO Box 101, Sergeantsville, NJ
Public Works Director Jay Trstensky
Recreation Commission Chairperson Kristen Devlin
Recycling Coordinator Kathleen Klink
Registrar of Vital Statistics Judith A. Allen, RMC
Rescue Squad Stockton Rescue Squad
Road Department Supervisor Jay Trstensky
Senior, Disabilities & Veterans Services Liasion Patricia Vanden Berghe
Stockton Rescue Squad Captain Lisa Hendricks
SWAC Coordinator Gloria Schellhorn
Tax Assessor Michelle Trivigno, CTA
Tax Collector Danene Gooding, CTC
Utilities Authority Secretary Dianne Rankin
Welfare Director County of Hunterdon, Division of Social Services, 6 Gauntt Place, Flemington, NJ 08822
Zoning Officer Robert Miller
The Township of Delaware
The Township of Delaware lies along the Delaware River forming the western boundary of the County. It was created from old Amwell Township in 1838. The Delaware and Raritan Canal has its origins near the settlement of Raven Rock. The sole remaining historic covered bridge (abutments constructed in 1750 - bridge built in 1872 - click for additional information) ) in New Jersey can be found crossing the Wickecheoke Creek between Sergeantsville and Rosemont.
North of the Delaware the Township remains much as it looked in the 1700s. The rolling fields and picturesque barns belong to farms that have changed little in the last two hundred years. Delaware lies on the western border of the County and is bounded north and east by Raritan and East Amwell Townships, south by West Amwell Township, and northwest by Kingwood and Franklin Townships and west by the Borough of Stockton. Resting in the midst of serene farmland is the village of Sergeantsville. The Village was first settled by a Mr. Thatcher in 1700, and was later named for Charles Sergeant, a revolutionary soldier. A twenty-five year tradition in the town, is Sergeantsville's "Thanksgiving in the Country" house tour. This tour takes four or five different homes each year, that have historical, architectural or cultural qualities.
|Home | County Map | Municipal Index|
Green Sergeants Covered Bridge Information:
Covered bridges (once numbering over 75 in New Jersey) have diminished, mainly due to fire and flood, until only one remains. (In recent years several new ones have been privately built.) Although the masonry abutments were built in 1750, the Green Sergeants Bridge was built in 1872 in accordance with the County Freeholders’ motion adopted September 16, 1872. Charles O. Holcombe was the designer and chief carpenter. He used a modified Queen Post truss construction.
In 1960 the bridge was condemned as unsafe for heavy traffic. It was dismantled and rebuilt in 1961 by Chapman & Son with the addition of steel girders and other steel reinforcing to strengthen the original bridge lumber. The covered bridge, with an 8-ton posted capacity, is used now for westbound traffic only. East bound traffic uses a newer, single lane, concrete deck bridge next to the rebuilt historic bridge. A 3’ stone parapet on each side blends in with the traditional aspect of the locale.
The bridge, as well as a mill and local school of yesterday, was named after Green Sergeant who resided nearby.
Clear Span: 73-1/2’
Timber Deck Roadway: 82-1/2’
Height of Opening: 13’ Overhead Clearance: 12-1/2’
Click here for information regarding recent rehabilitation work performed on the Historic Covered Bridge
back to top