HUNTERDON COUNTY MRC
About the Medical Reserve Corps What is ESAR-VHP? Why We Need You Types of Volunteers Needed Benefits of Volunteering How to Join Media Releases MRC News & Photo Library Member Resources CONTACT US
HUNTERDON COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
DIVISION OF HEALTH SERVICES
MEDICAL RESERVE CORPS
Route 12 County Complex
314 State Route 12, Building #1
PO Box 2900
Flemington, NJ 08822-2900
George Wagner, Director
Karen B. DeMarco, County Health Officer
Tadhgh Rainey, Division Manager
Beth Schwartz, MRC Coordinator
A Partner of the Medical Reserve Corps
Are you a Health Care Professional?
Would you be willing to help in a federal emergency?
If the answer to both of these questions is yes, please consider registering with ESAR-VHP, the Emergency System for Advance Registration of Volunteer Health Professionals.
What is ESAR-VHP?
- A national network of State-based programs for managing health professional volunteers
- A Federal Government mandate: each state must have an ESAR-VHP program
- State programs are built to a common set of national standards
- Goal: eliminate a number of the problems that arise when mobilizing health professional volunteers in an emergency response
- In some states the ESAR-VHP program is separate from the MRC program. In New Jersey these two programs are linked
- Both are administered out of the New Jersey Department of Health
- The ESAR-VHP database is a subset of the NJMRC registry
- To be registered in ESAR-VHP you must be accepted into an NJMRC unit
ESAR-VHP vs MRC
ESAR-VHP and MRC are both meant to increase surge capacity during public health emergencies, to enhance the health, safety, and resiliency of local communities, States, and the Nation. The two organizations differ in their scope of operations and in their membership:
Scope of operations
local and national
health professionals and non-professionals
How to apply for ESAR-VHP registration
When filling in the Health Care Professional Volunteer Application for MRC membership, check “Yes” to the following two questions:
- “Are you willing to travel and volunteer outside of your county?”
- “Are you willing to participate in a Federally coordinated emergency response?”
Change your mind about registering for ESAR-VHP?
The ESAR-VHP registration decision is strictly voluntary and it is not permanent. Once accepted into the MRC, you can register for ESAR-VHP if you hadn’t done so when you applied for MRC membership. Likewise, you can withdraw from ESAR-VHP while remaining an MRC member.