Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours | Tower Hill Reserve
         
Tower Hill Reserve
  back to index

Welcome to Tower Hill Reserve.  This former farm and its surroundings are comprised of 271 acres of meadows, woodlands, and wetlands.  One of the most innovative families to own the farm was the Devonald family from West Orange, who purchased 151 acres as a country retreat in 1932.  The close-knit family of seven brothers and three sisters helped to run the farm on weekends, but it was Erwin who had a passion for growing crops full time and raising game birds for the ring, while Frank and his brother Stanley owned and trained thoroughbred horses on a track directly across from their home.  They also raised sheep and cows.  Margaret sold the farm to the County in 1983, and the County acquired additional acreage over time.

BACK TO THE TOWER HILL RESERVE VITRUAL TOUR MAIN PAGE

Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours | Tower Hill Reserve

Photographs by Valerie Lykes