Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours | Echo Hill Park
         
Echo Hill Park
  Echo Hill Park back to index

Welcome to Echo HIll Park. Echo Hill was originally a farm, established in 1836. In 1936, the property was purchased by Robert and Hermia Lechner, who created a summer camp for boys. The following year, the camp was expanded to permit girls. Many of the existing farm structures were destroyed during the conversion to a camp, but salvaged beams from the barn were used in the dining hall (now the Main Lodge). The orchard was cut down and replaced by 200,000 evergreens by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1939. The county acquired the property in 1973. Today, Echo Hill still continues its tradition of teaching local children about nature throught the Summer Nature Program and other scheduled or requested programs.

BACK TO THE ECHO HILL PARK VIRTUAL TOUR MAIN PAGE

Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours | Echo Hill Park

Photographs by Valerie Lykes