Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours | Cold Brook Preserve
         
Cold Brook Preserve
  Cold Brook Preserve Welcome Sign Next

Welcome to Cold Brook Preserve. This 287 acres of rolling fields and old pastures lies within the historic district of Oldwick in Tewksbury Township. Reminiscent of its agrarian past, the preserve is still being farmed by a local farmer who has leased the fields. Benjamin Van Doren acquired 189 acres of farmland in the 1850s and planted 5,000 peach trees for fruit production. His son, John, switched to dairy production following a devastating peach blight around 1910. Barn foundations are still evident. Jacob Kline established the first tannery in New Germantown (Oldwick) and constructed the adjacent cottage on Route 517 around 1750. It is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.

BACK TO THE COLD BROOK RESERVE VIRTUAL TOUR MAIN PAGE

Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours| Cold Brook Reserve

Photographs by Valerie Lykes