Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours | Canoeing the South Branch Reservation
         
Canoeing the South Branch Reservation
back to index Arches Section of the South Branch back to index

Arches Section of the South Branch Reservation.  This area was named after the stone double arch culvert that spans Arch Street in High Bridge and the South Branch of the Raritan River.  The culvert and the 94-foot high earthen embankment were constructed between 1859 and 1865 by the Central Railroad in NJ.  There is an older bridge buried under the dirt of the embankment for which High Bridge Borough was named.  This site has a picnic bench and is a popular fishing location.

BACK TO CANOEING THE SOUTH BRANCH RESERVATION VIRTUAL TOUR MAIN PAGE

Home | Division of Parks and Recreation | Virtual Tours | South Branch Reservation

Photographs by Valerie Lykes