TEETERTOWN PRESERVE/MOUNTAIN FARM
The Teetertown Preserve's 147-acre Ravine Section was acquired to protect one of the most significant natural areas in Hunterdon County.
This section offers the solitude of a densely
wooded area, including a variety of hardwoods, shrubs, and animal life. It also contains the contrast of a spectacular rushing stream winding its way through the Ravine's dramatic rock outcroppings. In 1999, an adjoining 155 acres were purchased. Now
called Mountain Farm, this section added large fields and two ponds. Rare birds, such as Bobolinks, have been seen here, and a Bluebird trail is maintained by a volunteer. In 2004, the 232-acre Crystal Springs Section was added, immediately across Pleasant Grove Road (see separate brochure). As its name implies, this section is an important source of water for New Jersey. Its five ponds represent the headwaters of the Spruce Run Creek, and is one of the primary sources for the reservoir of the same name.
The Teetertown Preserve now
totals 539 acres. Additional information about
the preserve and area history is available at the Visitor Center.
preserve was named after John Teeter who purchased a pre-Revolutionary
War gristmill in 1814. From the mill, Mr. Teeter was able to produce flour
and grist. After extensively altering the mill in 1820, he turned over
operations to his son-in-law, Samuel Dorland. One of his relatives, Elsie
Teeter, lived on a nearby farm with her husband, James Lance. The farm
remained in the posession of the Lance family until 1926. In 1953, the
Watchtower and Bible Tract Society of New York, Inc. (Jehovah's Witnesses)
took ownership of the site as a communal farm, calling it "Mountain Farm."
However, due to economics, the farm was considered surplus and was sold
to the County in 1999. In 1896, Lawrence Hager Trimmer (1847- 1909), founder
and director of the High Bridge National Bank, established the Middle
Valley Trap Rock and Mine Company with Teetertown Ravine serving as the
location for quarry operations. Crushing 400 tons of rock daily, with
the help of a 150 horsepower engine, the plant finally ceased production
in 1923. Memorabilia pertaining to this operation, the communal farm,
and the Lance family, can be viewed in the park's visitor center.
STATION AT TEETERTOWN NATURE PRESERVE
Courtesy of the US Division of Interior, for
the New Jersey Forest Fire Service a Weather Station has been installed
at the Teetertown Preserve. The official Weather Station Location is:
Mountain Farm Section of the Teetertown Preserve
40 Pleasant Grove Road
Port Murray, NJ 07865-3244
For information please visit: http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/roman/ (ROMAN: Real-time Observation Monitor and Analysis Network)
- Click on "States" at bottom of page;
- Then click on the State of NJ , on map (see
all 8 stations in NJ);
- Scroll down to "Teetertown" (see current weather
summary & compare to other NJ stations on that page);
- Then click on word "Teetertown" for graphics
& comparative data;
- Select data for list, or graphic comparisons;
- Use Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), default
listed, or switch to "Local Time," (local Military Time) at left
side of screen;
- HAVE FUN!
FYI, the weather station reports to the satellite
hourly, at 10 seconds before - 10 minutes past each hour.
For additional information, please contact
the Division of Parks and Recreation at at 908-782-1158 or email at: email@example.com
The Hunterdon County Parks and Recreation Division is dedicated to preserving open space and natural resources, providing safe parks and facilities, and offering educational and recreational opportunities, all contributing to an enhanced quality of life for present and future generations.
& SPECIAL EVENTS: 20 PLEASANT GROVE ROAD, PORT MURRAY,
VISITOR CENTER & CAMPER CHECK-IN (aka Mountain Farm Section):
30 PLEASANT GROVE ROAD, PORT MURRAY,
NATURE & ACTIVITY CENTER: 40 PLEASANT GROVE
ROAD, PORT MURRAY,
CRYSTAL SPRINGS SECTION:
21 PLEASANT GROVE ROAD, PORT MURRAY, NJ 07865
park is open from sunrise
to sunset. Gates at the Mountain Farm Section are open from 9 a.m. to
posted closing hours.
Preserve is located in Lebanon Township, although it is a Port Murray
mailing address. There are two parking areas at the Mountain Farm Section,
and pull-offs for parking along Hollow Brook Road.
Driving Directions to the Mountain Farm Section
Center: Next to the main parking area, the Visitor Center
can provide information and assistance to the public. The center is
open on weekends, when volunteers are available.
Sites: Non-reserveable picnic areas are available on the shoreline
of the large pond and along the road through the wooded area behind
Public and group campsites are available, by reservation only.
All necessities must be carried in and out of public “wilderness”
sites, a 1/2 to 3/4 mile hike from water and parking. Group lean-to
and tent campsites are available, with adjacent permit parking. Portable
rest facilities are nearby to public and group campsites.
FISHING The ponds at the Mountain Farm Section are excellent for bass and bluegill fishing (catch and release only). Trout fishing is permitted in Hollow Brook. The large pond is also stocked with Rainbow Trout. Fishermen must display an NJ Trout Stamp to keep the trout only, per season limits.
HUNTING In order to control the deer population, hunting is allowed (by Parks Division permit only) in some sections of this park. Please wear blaze orange during hunting season or confine your visits to Sundays. See additional information on the Hunterdon County Park System Controlled Hunting Program.
MAPS & GUIDES
Trail Guides are set up as foldable brochures.
Please print and fold in half vertically to view in proper order. Additionally,
you may have to rearrange pages. Maps should be printed on Legal Size
trails are clearly recognizable and are good for hiking, biking, or horseback riding,
except the Blue Trail which is for hiking only.
White Trail: The 0.7-mile White Trail consists of old logging trails. The two ends of the trail are clearly defined with park signs along Hollow Brook Road. Portions of this trail parallel a stream and pass old rock walls.
Red Trail: This 1-mile trail winds through the upper portion of the ravine. About halfway, the trail enters a field (where it intersects with the Pond Trail). The trail parallels the woods and then re-enters them. Wilderness campsites are located along the Red Trail.
Blue Trail: Starting from the red trail, this 0.6- mile trail crosses a stream, proceeds inside a small ravine, exits over a rock wall, and passes many wetland plants. The end of the trail follows along the top of the ravine with a splendid view of the valley. It turns and proceeds down a very steep hill to the road. Follow the road to the left to return to Hollow Brook Road and the ravine.
Geology Trail: Download
the Teetertown Geology Brochure & Map
Pond Trail: This trail connects the Teetertown Ravine trails to the fields, ponds, and campsites of the Mountain Farm Section. The trail crosses a gently sloping hillside, passing through a field filled with beautiful seasonal wildflowers. Group campsites are accessed off the Pond Trail's spur line.
Old Orchard Trail: This 0.6-mile trail winds around what was once a peach orchard. As you walk this path, notice the pile of rocks cleared from the field by farmers. Mullein, staghorn sumac, and multiflora rose are a few of the plants that have started to take over the field.
The thickets along the fence are excellent places
for birds to feed and find shelter. Bluebirds are
o ften seen along this trail.