1207 ROUTE 179,
LAMBERTVILLE, NJ 08530
Phone: 908-782-1158 * Fax: 908-806-4057
ABOUT THE SOUTH COUNTY PARK
The 42-acre parcel of land between Routes 179 and 202 was once the site of the Hunterdon Drive-in Theater, the County’s first and only drive-in. County business leaders formed and financed their own management company for its creation in 1950. It used the latest technology from RCA motion pictures and sound equipment. In 1958, its name was changed to the Ringoes Drive-in, which operated until 1976 when it closed due to declining attendance. It re-opened between 1981 and 1986 as the Gem Theater. In 2002, the County acquired the site to serve as the Hunterdon County Fairgrounds.
The County has also acquired three undeveloped tracts, adding to the acreage of the South County Park. The first two are on the east side of Route 179 in West Amwell Township. The first acquisition occurred in 2001 and preserved 173 acres, while the second obtained in 2004 adding an additional 79 acres. In 2006, the County acquired 47 acres increasing the Fairground Section to a total of 341 acres.
HUNTING In order to control the deer population, hunting is permitted on the undeveloped section of the park. This is the wooded area to the east side of Route 179 in West Amwell Township. Hunters must obtain a special permit issued by the Division to hunt in the park. Visitors during hunting season are strongly encouraged to wear blaze orange or confine visits to Sundays if entering this section. See additional information on the Hunterdon County Park System Controlled Hunting Program.
RESERVABLE FACILITIES Most of the structures and field areas of the South County Park can be reserved for special activities. For information,
availability, or general inquiries about events at the South County Park, contact the park office at (908) 782-1158 or visit our website for additional information
AGRICULTURAL FAIRS The South County Park serves as the home for the Hunterdon County 4-H Agricultural Fair. Since colonial times, agricultural fairs have been the way local agrarian-based communities gathered in friendship to celebrate the year and share common interests. The Hunterdon area held such events as early as 1745. The purchase of land and organization of the official fair began in Flemington in 1855. In 1933, it became the famous “Flemington Agricultural Fair.” With the exception of several years during the Civil War when the fairgrounds were used as a training ground for Union troops, the Flemington Fair ran uninterrupted for 145 years until moving to the South County Park in 2004.
The South County Park is located in East and West Amwell Townships at the junction of Route 179 and 202. The park is open only during scheduled events. Temporary restroom facilities are available during these events.
FAIRGROUNDS ENTRANCE/MAIN PARK AREA: 1207 ROUTE 179,
LAMBERTVILLE, NJ 08530
HUNTER'S PARKING: 1150 STATE HIGHWAY 202, RINGOES, NJ 08551
From the Flemington Area Take Route 202/31 south for approximately 6 miles to the exit for Route 179 south. Once on Route 179, the entrance is about 500 yards on the right beyond the overpass. From the Lambertville Area: Take Route 179 north toward Ringoes. After about 5 miles you will see the park entrance on the left.
AREA MAP AND BROCHURE
Brochures and maps are set up as foldable brochures.
Please print and fold in half vertically to view in proper order. Additionally,
you may have to rearrange pages. Maps should be printed on Legal Size