ABOUT PINE HILL SECTION
Samuel Maurice Buck (1873-1937) purchased seven acres of land on this site in 1914, with the goal of creating a Boy Scout camp. He was the assistant superintendant of the Taylor- Wharton Iron and Steel Company, and served as the first Scoutmaster of High Bridge. After his death, the land was named "Camp Buck" in his honor. In 1946, the land was utilized
by troops from as far away as Trenton. In the early 1950s, many scouts volunteered to build a wooden cabin that could accommodate eight individuals. This cabin was removed around 1960. After numerous council mergers, the county acquired the camp and other parcels of
land in 1975. Today, 41 acres have been set aside as open space, and the name
"Pine Hill" is derived from the road that
borders the property.
Today, the South Branch Reservation totals over 1000 acres. Besides providing recreational opportunities, the reservation helps preserve the South Branch of the Raritan River Watershed from development and provides wildlife habitat.
OTHER SOUTH BRANCH AREAS: See the guides for these locations to obtain more information about the sites.
Melick's Bridge:Located along Hamden Road and offers two fishing trails to access the South Branch of the Raritan River.
Valinsky Section: Offers a location to launch a canoe into the South Branch of the Raritan River
and a meadow managed for grassland birds.
Landsdown Meadows and Trail: Is a 1.5 mile former railroad bed between Clinton and Lower Landsdown Road, covered with fine gravel dust
and ideal for hiking, biking, or jogging. Connects to the Capoolong Creek Trail.
|Soccer & Baseball/Softball Fields
The Hunterdon County Parks and Recreation Division is dedicated to
preserving open space and natural resources, providing safe parks and
facilities, and offering educational and recreational opportunities,
all contributing to an enhanced quality of life for present and future
PHYSICAL ADDRESS: 34 PINE HILL ROAD, ANNANDALE,
Location: The Pine Hill Section is located at 34 Pine Hill Road, Annandale 08801 (Franklin Township). The park is open from sunrise to sunset. No restroom facilities are available. Only roadside parking is available; please do not block the gate.
Directions to Pine Hill Section:
From the Flemington Circle, take Route 31 north for approximately 8 miles to the Allerton Road traffic light. Use the jug
handle to cross over Route 31 and stay with Allerton Road.
From the Clinton area, take Route 31 South for approximately 2 miles and turn right onto Allerton Road. Once on Allerton Road, follow the signs for the YMCA's Camp Carr. From Allerton, turn left onto Lilac Drive. Turn right onto River Road, left onto Hamden Road, and right onto Camp Buck Road. Pine Hill is on the far side of the bridge. Parking is along the side of the road.
Pine Hill offers a moderate circular hiking trail that provides a scenic view of the South Branch from its bluff. Mountain biking and
horseback riding are permitted. Due to the rocky terrain, this site does not provide good access for fishing or canoeing.
TRAIL AND GUIDE INFORMATION
Trail Guides are set up as foldable brochures. Please print and fold in half vertically to view in proper order. Additionally, you may have to rearrange pages. Maps should be printed on Legal Size Paper
Pine Hill offers a moderate hiking trail through its
southern area. Mountain biking and horseback riding are permitted. A
scenic overlook provides a beautiful view of the South Branch of the
Hunting is permitted to control the deer population.
Hunters must obtain a special permit issued by the Parks Division
to be able to hunt on the park.
Visitors during hunting season are strongly encouraged to wear blaze
orange or confine visits to Sundays. See additional information on the
Hunterdon County Park System Controlled