www.co.hunterdon.nj.us
 Hunterdon County Planning Board | Cultural and Heritage Commission
 Facebook Twitter

Huntedon County Cultural and Heritage Commission
HOME | ABOUT | COMMISSIONERS | CONTACT | GRANTS | PUBLICATIONS | NEWS & RESOURCES | CULTURAL PARTNERS
 

Museums of Hunterdon County


The Doric House

 

DORIC HOUSE

Terry A. McNealy, Executive Director
Charles Fisher, President
114 Main Street
Flemington , NJ 08822
Phone: (908) 782-1091
Email: hunterdonhistory@embarqmail.com
Website: http://hunterdonhistory.org/

Built in 1845, this three-story Greek Revival structure was the home of Flemington's architect/builder, Mahlon Fisher. Maintained as a museum by the Hunterdon County Historical Society, this house is furnished in authentic New Jersey antiques of the period; tours by appointment. The Hiram E. Deats Reference Library, containing census, church and business records; wills; deeds; photographs; maps; family bibles; and prime source genealogical documents on over 1,200 County families; 1,100 microfilm rolls of Hunterdon newspapers since 1825; and well over 5,000 books, is open Thursdays from noon to 4 p.m., the second and fourth Saturday of every month, excluding Holidays, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and by appointment.

Back to Top

 

   

Fleming Castle

SAMUEL FLEMING HOUSE
(formerly known as Fleming Castle)

Kelli Dochterman, Pres., Board of Trustees
5 Bonnell Street, Flemington, NJ 08822

5 Bonnell Street
Flemington, NJ 08822
Phone: 908-782-4607; Fax: 908-782-0142
Email: flemingcastle@yahoo.com
Website: www.flemingcastle.com

The Samuel Fleming House (located at 5 Bonnell Street) was built in 1756 by Samuel Fleming.  Flemington Borough purchased the home in 2005 from the D.A.R. (Daughters of the American Revolution) with the goal of reaching out to the community and visitors to develop an appreciation for local history.  Upon the building's purchase, a "Friends" group was formed with a Board of Directors to administer, care for, develop programs and raise funds for the Samuel Fleming House.  School programs have been developed in coordination with school curriculum, particularly the 2nd and 5th grades.

An "Open House" is hosted by the docents the 2nd Saturday of each month from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 pm with activities and tours of the building and grounds.  The building is also used for meetings, events such as "Friends Appreciation Night", book signings, colonial garden lectures, etc.  The original downhill backyard was transformed into a beautiful terraced garden used for programs and is available for weddings and parties.

The Samuel Fleming House Board of Trustees meets on the Second Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Samuel Fleming House.

 The Samuel Fleming House Museum and Garden "Recipes to Remember" cook book has arrived.  Copies are available at Borough Hall for $11.00 (Please see Rebecca Newman).  They are also available at various businesses on Main Street.

Back to Top

 

 

Flemington Children's Choir School

 

FLEMINGTON CHILDREN'S CHOIR SCHOOL

SORRY:
This Museum is Closed

3 Chorister Place
Flemington, NJ 08822

Former museum of the musical history of Flemington's young people.

The Flemington Children’s Choir School was a landmark for more than 100 years. After much discussion and concern, in October 2009 the elderly Chorus of the Alumni of the Flemington Children’s Choir School unanimously agreed to release the Freeholders from the restrictions placed on them in the deed dated January 1981 for the Choir School building. The 1890 Chickering piano, originally donated by Louella Alleger, was re-gifted to a local church and the major portion of the Choir School’s historical collection was relocated to the Hunterdon County Historical Society. The final meeting of the Alumni was held in May 2010.

Back to Top

 

   

Holcombe-Jimison Farmstead

HOLCOMBE-JIMISON FARMSTEAD

Mary Lou Crabtree , President

1605 Daniel Bray Highway, Route 29
Lambertville, NJ 08530

Phone: 609-397-2752
Website: www.holcombe-jimison.org

Located on approximately 10 acres of land originally purchased by John Holcombe in 1733 and gifted to the Hunterdon County Historical Society in 1968 by Milo and Rachel Jimison. In 1984 the Society placed the property in the hands of Holcombe-Jimison Farmstead, Inc. for the purpose of operating a museum dedicated to "preserving knowledge of Hunterdon County's rural heritage." The Museum is an educational, nonprofit institution, restored, maintained and staffed solely by volun-teers. The Farmstead " Plantation" features the oldest remaining stone house in Hunterdon County, believed built by John Wey in 1711. Volunteers have restored the property and added outbuildings for the Post Office, Blacksmith Shop, Carriage Shed and 19th century Print Shop. Museum-barn displays include early farming and homemaking devices, and a 1910 Doctor's Office. Open 1-4 p.m. Sundays, from the first weekend in May to the last weekend in October, and Wednesday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon. A Celebration of Farms is held the second weekend in September. A donation of $5.00 per adult and $3.00 for Seniors and Children is suggested. Memberships welcome.

Back to Top

 

 
Hunterdon Museum of Art

HUNTERDON ART MUSEUM

Marjorie Frankel Nathanson, Executive Director

7 Lower Center Street
Clinton, NJ 08809-1303

Phone: 908-735-8415, Fax: 908-735-8416
Email: hunterdonartmuseum.org/contact
Website: www.hunterdonartmuseum.org

The Hunterdon Museum of Art is housed in an 1836 stone grist mill on the bank of the South Branch of the Raritan River. Established in 1952, the Museum is on the National and State Registers. The Museum features temporary exhibitions of modern art and extensive art education programs including studio classes for all ages, docent-led tours for selected exhibitions and outreach programs. The Museum's Anne Steele Marsh Print Collection contains more than 300 prints made since the 1930's. Large membership; annual events: National Juried Print Exhibition, Members' Exhibition. Gallery Hours: Tues- Sun, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Office Hours: Tues. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Museum shop, Wed. - Sun., 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission by donation. Barrier-free.

Back to Top

 

   
Marshall House

JAMES WILSON MARSHALL HOUSE

60 Bridge Street
Lambertville NJ 08530

Phone: 609-397-0770
Email:info@lambertvillehistoricalsociety.org
Website: www.lambertvillehistoricalsociety.org

The Marshall House, on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places, was the boyhood home of James Wilson Marshall, discoverer of gold in California in 1848, and is now the headquarters of the Lambertville Historical Society. The Federal brick structure was built in 1816 by his father, Philip Marshall, a member of one of the oldest families in New Jersey and by marriage to John Hart, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Four rooms are open to the public; furnished with donated local furniture; costumes and shad fishing displays. Open 1-4 pm weekends, last weekend in April through October; and by appointment throughout the year.

The house originally sat on "44 perches of land" (about 5 acres), and included a brick kitchen, two-story back addition with first and second floor porches, a wheelwright and wagon shop, barn and smokehouse. The family sold the property at Philip's death in 1834 and in 1882 Hugh Ely sold the property to St. John's Roman Catholic Church for a convent. In 1964, Mrs. Alice Narducci enlisted the help of local residents and persuaded the church to deed the Marshall House to the N.J. Dept. of Conservation & Economic Development for preservation purposes in 1967 rather than tear it down. The State leased the Marshall House, unrestored, to the newly born Lambertville Historical Society.

Back to Top

 

 

 

Oak Summit School

 

OAK SUMMIT SCHOOL

Irene Leon, Treasurer

Oak Summit School Historical Society
190 Oak Summit Road
Frenchtown , NJ 08825-9714

Phone: 908-996-4633

The structure that stands today replaced the original 1849 one-room schoolhouse. It functioned as a school until 1951. In addition to restoring the schoolhouse in 1979, the Oak Summit School Historical Society furnished it with authentic slate blackboards, a wood stove, old desks, text books, etc. to the way it appeared in the 1930s when 35-40 K-12 students attended.

Call for schedule of demonstrations and tours.

Back to Top

 

   
Prallsville Mills

PRALLSVILLE MILLS
Edie Shriner Sharp, Director

Delaware River Mill Society at Stockton
PO Box 298 (Rt. 29 N)
Stockton, NJ 08559-0298

Phone: (609) 397-3586
Fax: 609-397-3913
Email: drms@netcarrier.com

Bordering the Delaware and Raritan canal and Wickecheoke Creek off of Route 29 North in Stockton, Prallsville remained an important commercial center throughout the 19 th century. This nine-building complex, including a large 4-story grist mill and grain silo, linseed oil mill and saw mill, is the largest and most important state-owned property along the entire 67-mile length of the Delaware and Raritan Canal Park. The Prallsville Mills were included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, and the entire property became part of the D & R Canal State Park in 1974. U nder lease terms, the Delaware River Mill Society at Stockton has the responsibility to "restore, preserve, operate, maintain and interpret" these historic buildings.

Membership is open to the public.

Cultural, educational and social events.

2010 Daily Docent tours begin Monday, June 7, 1 - 4 p.m. Mill complex tours Monday through Thursdays, 1 - 4 p.m. through September 9, 2010.

Group tours can be scheduled year round by emailing drms@netcarrier.com.

Back to Top

 

 

 

 

READINGTON TOWNSHIP MUSEUMS

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 216
Stanton, NJ 08885-0216

Phone: (908) 236-2327
Fax: (908) 236-2306
website: www.township.readington.nj.us

The Readington Museums (Bouman-Stickney Farmstead, Cold Brook School, Eversole-Hall House, and Taylor's Mill) were established to promote an understanding and appreciation of Readington's history and culture through education, research, preservation, collection, and interpretation. The properties constituting the Museums are intended to be utilized as educational living history experiences for the community; to provide an appropriate setting for interpreting and preserving collections of artifacts relating to the history of the Township; and to offer an historic venue for a broad range of activities for Readington residents, such as educational programs, community cultural events and meetings of groups interested in local history. The Museum organization is governed by a Museum Committee, created by ordinance and appointed by the Township Committee to oversee programs and restoration projects that take place on the properties.

Museum Committee:
James Horvath, Chair
Betty Ann Fort, Vice Chair
Erin Brennan, Committee Member
Helen Farrant, Committee Member
Joyce Lykes, Committee Member
Nancy O’Malley, Committee Member

Historic Preservation Comittee:
Patricia Fisher-Olsen, Chair

Back to Top

 

 

Bouman-Stickney Farmstead

BOUMAN-STICKNEY FARMSTEAD

Location Address:
114 Dreahook Road, Stanton, NJ
website: www.township.readington.nj.us

Situated on 68 acres, the Bouman-Stickney Farmstead is home to a 1741 Dutch stone bank house, a restored 19th Century double corn crib and a restored 1820 New World Dutch Barn. This site has two stories to tell - as a colonial farmstead and as the weekend and vacation retreat of Broadway celebrities Howard Lindsay and Dorothy Stickney. The Farmstead plays host to the 1st grade Partners in History Program, Sunday Samplers, gardening and other educational programs. As with the other properties, the Farmstead is frequently open for demonstrations, exhibits, and tours.

Back to Top

 

 

Cold Brook School - Readington Museums

 

COLD BROOK SCHOOL

Location Address:
Potterstown Road

Website: www.township.readington.nj.us

Cold Brook School is a restored 1828 stone one-room school house. It is the site of the 4th grade Partners in History program, and is the site of frequent Open Houses, tours and demonstrations.

Back to Top

 

   

Eversole-Hall House

EVERSOLE-HALL HOUSE

Location Address:
511 Route 523
Whitehouse Station

website: www.township.readington.nj.us

The Eversole-Hall House is a complex consisting of a restored farmhouse and four outbuildings interpreting the 1830s. The house contains Master Hall's shoemaker's shop as well. The site is the home of the annual Fall Frolic family day, the 5th grade Partners in History program, and summer camp sessions for students entering grades 5-8. Open Houses, tours and demonstrations are held frequently.

Back to Top

 

 

Taylor's Mill

 

TAYLOR ’S MILL

Location Address:
Corner of Rockaway Road and Taylor's Mill Road

website: www.township.readington.nj.us

The Readington Museums' Committee next restoration project is a 1760 stone grist mill which was built and operated by Col. John Taylor. It is reported that grain from this mill supplied General Washington's army during the Revolution.

Back to Top

 

 

Readington Train Station

READINGTON TRAIN STATION

Route 523
White House Station, NJ 08889

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 1892 building was a former NJ Central Railroad Station. Designed in the H.H. Richardson style by Bradford Gilbert, it is characterized by heavy, rough-cut stone exterior, broad roof planes, and arched entryways. Painstakingly restored by the community in 1981, it now serves as the Readington Township Public Library. A visit to the "ladies waiting room" is a must!

Back to Top

 

 
The Red Mill of Clinton

RED MILL MUSEUM VILLAGE

Amy Hollander, Executive Director

56 Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809

Phone: (908) 735-4101
Email Director: director@theredmill.org
Email General Info: hhmredmill@yahoo.com
Website: www.theredmill.org

Set on the banks of the South Branch with high limestone cliffs behind it, the circa 1810 Red Mill has become one of the most familiar and photographed landmarks in Hunterdon County - and in the state. The nine acre site listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places includes the historic Red Mill, the Mulligan Quarry and its outbuildings, the Bunker Hill Schoolhouse, a working blacksmith shop, a general store, a reproduction 18 th century log cabin, a herb garden and a screen house. Carriage sheds display large pieces of 19 th century agricultural equipment. The Museum's collection includes 40,000 artifacts of Hunterdon County domestic, industrial and commercial history through 1918. All present permanent exhibits and are open to visitors. Open early April to mid-October, Tuesday through Saturday, 10 - 4 p.m.; Sunday 12 - 5 p.m. Special events include weekend festivals, living history re-enactments, antique shows and summer concerts. School tours visit the Museum each spring and fall. Civil War Round Table meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. Annual Revolutionary War lecture series offered on the third Tuesday, Jan - Apr at 8 p.m. Memberships open to the public. Volunteers needed.

Back to Top

 

 

The Station at Califon

 

THE STATION AT CALIFON

Donald E. Freibergs, Curator
PO Box 424
25 Academy Street
Califon, NJ 07830-0424

Phone: 908-832-2941

The 1875 railroad station is the headquarters and museum of the Califon Historical Society. Located in the heart of Califon's National Register Historic Site District, the station was constructed of locally quarried stone by town volunteers. Hours: First and third Sundays of each month, 1 - 3 p.m., May through December. Free admission.

Back to Top

 

 

Township of Lebanon Museum at New Hampton

TOWNSHIP OF LEBANON MUSEUM AT NEW HAMPTON

Joan Lucas, Curator

57 Musconetcong River Road
Hampton, NJ 08827

Phone: (908) 537-6464

Constructed as a one-room schoolhouse in 1825; a second story and extension were added in the 1870's. It was used as a school until 1929. Today the first floor of the museum is a re-creation of a 19 th century schoolroom, with original books, blackboards, desks, and a potbellied stove. The second floor contains a lecture and exhibit area, including a permanent Lenape Indian collection. Programs, exhibits, and demonstrations are held monthly. During the school year, elementary school children are invited to experience a School Day - c. 1870. Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Saturday, 1 - 5 p.m.

Back to Top

 

 

Financial support for the Hunterdon County Cultural & Heritage Commission’s general operations and programs is made possible in part by grants from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of Cultural Affairs within the Department of State, and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National Endowment for the Arts.
NJSCA NJ Historical CommissionSave NJ History and ArtsDiscover NJ Arts
 
ADA Accessibility Statement  

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________
 www.co.hunterdon.nj.us | Hunterdon County Planning Board | Cultural and Heritage Commission

Home About Us Commissioners Publications Resources Contact Us