It's time for The Most Historic Place In My Town Composition Contest. 3rd and Fourth Grade Students may write about any site in their town that they determine to be historic; houses, public buildings, graveyards, barns, stores, etc. All entries are judged by retired teachers. Monetary prizes are awarded at the last Board of Chosen Freeholder meeting in May. Every entrant will receive a certificate of participation and appreciation.
The rules for the Annual Essay Contest were as follows:
- Any third or fourth grade student* County-wide may enter.
* Determined by the grade level in which state and local history is studied in each school.
- Teachers are asked to submit Their Application of Interest in Participation to the Cultural and Heritage Commission by March 20, 2015.
- Essays may be submitted to the Commission at any time prior to the 4 pm Friday, April 17, 2015 deadline.
- Entries may be mailed to:
Hunterdon County Cultural & Heritage Commission
PO Box 2900
Flemington, NJ 08822-2900
OR hand-delivered to the Commission in the
Planning Board offices
314 State Route 12, Building #1
Route 12 County Complex
Flemington, NJ 08822
- All essays are to be on 8-1/2" X 11" paper. Report covers are acceptable. NO loose-leaf ring binders.
- All essays must be neatly printed or typed.
- Source citations must be included; i.e.: books researched, authors, interviews (with whom and when). If using deeds, the volume and page must be supplied.
- Each teacher must include an alphabetized list of participating students and a typed sheet stating name of school and teacher (plus room number, if applicable).
For over 20 years this countywide annual contest has served to raise awareness of county history, and meets state Core Curriculum Standards for teaching local history.
Awards will be presented at a Hunterdon County Freeholder meeting to be held in May, 2015:
- Honorable Mention
- 2nd in School District - $10.00
- 1st in School District - $25.00
- 2nd in County - $50.00
- 1st in County - Grand Prize - $100 and a sash Hunterdon County Mini-Historian 2015.