www.co.hunterdon.nj.us
 Hunterdon County Planning Board | Cultural and Heritage Commission
 Facebook Twitter

Huntedon County Cultural and Heritage Commission

Made Possible by funds from the NJ State Council on the ARts, a partner agency of the National Endowment for the ArtsDiscover NJ Arts

HOME | ABOUT | COMMISSIONERS | CONTACT | GRANTS | PUBLICATIONS | PROGRAMS & RESOURCES | CULTURAL & HERITAGE DIRECTORY
 

HUNTERDON COUNTY CULTURAL DIRECTORY

CULTURAL: Museums

BACK TO DIRECTORY

1759 Vought House
Annandale

Black River & Western Railroad
Ringoes

Bouman-Stickney Farmstead
Stanton

Califon Train Station
Califon

Cold Brook School
Whitehouse Station

Doric House
Flemington

Eversole-Hall House
Whitehouse Station

Fleming House Museum & Gardens
Flemington

Holcombe - Jimison Farmstead, Inc.
Lambertville

Hunterdon Art Museum
Clinton

Lebanon Township Museum
Hampton

James Wilson Marshall House Museum
Lambertville

Oak Summit School
Frenchtown

Prallsville Mills Complex
Stockton

Readington Train Station
Whitehouse Station

Red Mill Museum Village
Clinton

 

1759 Vought House
PO Box 369
Annandale, NJ 08801
(908)797-9900
1759House.org
facebook.com/1759VoughtHouse

Hunterdon County Revolutionary War Educational Center

The house built by Christopher Vought in 1759 is New Jersey's only Revolutionary War loyalist museum. This historic treasure is on the state and national historic registers due to what it can reveal about the ways of life in Hunterdon County in the 18th Century, it's extremely rare decorative plaster ceilings, events that took place here during the American Revolution, and of course, the locally prominent Vought family. The four exceptionally rare "wattle and daub" decorative plaster ceilings, three geometric designs and unique snake motif in the center hall, are associated with the Vought's German Palatine heritage. The 1759 Vought House, A Revolutionary War loyalist Homestead is the non-profit corporation restoring this stone house as a genuine artifact of the American Revolution. Work began in early 2014 with the partial removal of a 19th Century addition, stabilization of one garret wall and installation of a cedar shake roof.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Black River & Western Railroad
PO Box 200
Ringoes, NJ
(908) 782-6622
www.brwrr.com

Museum of railroad memorabilia at the restored 1854 station.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Bouman-Stickney Farmstead
114 Dreahook Road
Stanton, NJ
(908) 236-2327
http://www.readingtontwp.org/ReadingtonMuseums/Bouman-Stickney.html readingtonmuseums@gmail.com

1741 Dutch stone house. Mission is to collect research and preserve the history of Readington Township and Hunterdon County. Educational experiences are provided to Readington students utilizing living history and authentic historical experiences.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Califon Train Station
25 Academy Street
Califon, NJ
(908) 832-2941
admin@califonhistoricsociety.org
www.califonhistoricsociety.org

Railroad station built in 1875 of locally quarried stone by town volunteers. Located in the heart of Califon's national Register Historic Site District, The Station is now headquarters and museum of the Califon Historical Society.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Cold Brook School
509 Route 523
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(908) 236-2327
http://www.readingtontwp.org/ReadingtonMuseums/Cold_Brook_Taylors_Mill.html readingtonmuseums@gmail.com

Open by appointment. Used mainly for school programs

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Doric House
114 Main Street
Flemington, NJ
(908) 782-1091

Built in 1845, this Greek Revival house was the home of Flemington's architect/builder, Mahlon Fisher. Maintained as a museum by the Hunterdon County Historical Society, this house is furnished in authentic Hunterdon antiques of the period.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Eversole-Hall House
511 Route 523
Whitehouse Station NJ
(908) 236-2327
http://www.readingtontwp.org/ReadingtonMuseums/evans_hall_house.html readingtonmuseums@gmail.com

Restored living history farm museum interpreting the 1830 period. Tours, demonstrations, and three week-long summer museum day camp sessions for 4th,5th and 6th grade students.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Fleming House Museum & Gardens
5 Bonnell Street
Flemington, NJ NJ
(908) 782-4607
samuelfleminghouse@yahoo.com

The town of Flemington grew up around - and took its name-from this building, then known as "Flemings Tavern". Built by Samuel Fleming in 1756, it is Flemington's oldest remaining house.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Holcombe - Jimison Farmstead, Inc.
1605 Daniel Bray (Rt.29)
Lambertville, NJ 08530
(609) 397-2752
holcombe.jimisonnj@gmail.com
holcombe-jimison.org

Our mission is to preserve Hunterdon County's rural heritage

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Hunterdon Art Museum
7 Lower Center Street
Clinton, NJ
(908) 735-8415
www.hunterdonmuseum.org

The Hunterdon Art Museum is housed in an 1836 grist mill on the bank of the South Branch of the Raritan River. Established in 1952, the Museum in on the National and State Registers. The museum features temporary exhibitions of modern art and extensive art education programs.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Lebanon Township Museum
Musconetcong River Road
Hampton, NJ 08827
(908) 537-2086
lebtownmuseum@aol.com
www.lebanontownship.net

Constructed as a one room school house in 1823; a second story and extension were added in the 1870's. In use as a school until 1929.Today the first floor of the museum is a recreation of a 19th century schoolroom. The second floor contains a lecture and exhibit area, including a permanent Lenape Indian collection.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

James Wilson Marshall House Museum
60 Bridge Street
Lambertville, NJ
(609) 397-0770

Built in 1816, this was the boyhood home of James Marshall, who discovered gold at Sutter's Mill, California, thereby starting the Gold Rush of 1849. The museum is headquarters of the Lambertville Historical Society.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Oak Summit School
190 Oak Summit Road
Frenchtown, NJ
(908) 996-4851

Built in 1850 as a one-room schoolhouse and restored by the Oak Summit School Historical Society. The interior is authentic with slate blackboards, a wood stove, old desks, text books, etc.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Prallsville Mills Complex
PO Box 298, 33 Risler Street 
Stockton, NJ 08530
(609) 397-3586
drms@netcarrier.com
www.drms-stockton.org

The Prallsville mills is a significant surviving representation of the 18th, 19th and 20th century American village industrial complex. Center point on the DRS Byway (Route 29) it provides insight into the independence of the development of farming and industrial manufacturing operations with improvement of transportation using the river, canal, railways and roads.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Readington Train Station
Route 523
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(908) 236-2327

Listed on the National Register of Historic places, this 1892 building was a former NJ Central Railroad Station. Designed in the H.H. Richardson style by Bradford Gilbert, it is characterized by heavy, rough-cut stone exterior, broad roof planes, and arched entry ways. Painstakingly restored by the community in 1981, it now serves as the Readington Township Public Library.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

Red Mill Museum Village
56 Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809
(908) 735-4101
admin@theredmill.org
www.theredmill.org
Red Mill, Mulligan Quarry

The Red Mill Museum Village is a regional history museum devoted to preserving and educating the public about The Red Mill, the Mulligan Quarry and the industrial, agricultural and social history of Clinton and Hunterdon County. Situated on 10 acres along the South Branch of the Raritan River, the museum features a variety of exhibitions and programs throughout the year.

| BACK TO DIRECTORY | TO TOP |

 

 

 

The Hunterdon County Cultural & Heritage Commission received an operating support grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State.

NJ Historical Commission
ADA Accessibility Statement  

 

______________________________________________________________________________________
 www.co.hunterdon.nj.us | Hunterdon County Planning Board | Cultural and Heritage Commission