www.co.hunterdon.nj.us
 Hunterdon County Planning Board | Cultural and Heritage Commission
 Facebook Twitter

Huntedon County Cultural and Heritage Commission
HOME | ABOUT | COMMISSIONERS | CONTACT | GRANTS | PUBLICATIONS | PROGRAMS & RESOURCES | CULTURAL & HERITAGE DIRECTORY
 

Museums of Hunterdon County


 

The Doric House DORIC HOUSE

Patricial Millen, Administrator, Huntedon County Historical Society
Charles Fisher, President
114 Main Street
Flemington , NJ 08822
Phone: (908) 782-1091
Email: hunterdonhistory@embarqmail.com
Website: http://hunterdonhistory.org/

Built in 1845, this three-story Greek Revival structure was the home of Flemington's architect/builder, Mahlon Fisher. Maintained as a museum by the Hunterdon County Historical Society, this house is furnished in authentic New Jersey antiques of the period; tours by appointment. The Hiram E. Deats Memorial Library, containing census, church and business records; wills; deeds; photographs; maps; family bibles; and prime source genealogical documents on over 1,200 County families; 1,100 microfilm rolls of Hunterdon newspapers since 1825; and well over 5,000 books.

The Doric House is open Thursdays from noon to 4 p.m., the second and fourth Saturday of every month, excluding Holidays, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.. The Doric House is also open various times during the year for special events, programs and by appointment.

 

Back to Top

 

 

Flemington Children's Choir SchoolFLEMINGTON CHILDREN'S CHOIR SCHOOL

SORRY:
This Museum is Closed

3 Chorister Place
Flemington, NJ 08822

Former museum of the musical history of Flemington's young people.

The Flemington Children’s Choir School was a landmark for more than 100 years. After much discussion and concern, in October 2009 the elderly Chorus of the Alumni of the Flemington Children’s Choir School unanimously agreed to release the Freeholders from the restrictions placed on them in the deed dated January 1981 for the Choir School building. The 1890 Chickering piano, originally donated by Louella Alleger, was re-gifted to a local church and the major portion of the Choir School’s historical collection was relocated to the Hunterdon County Historical Society. The final meeting of the Alumni was held in May 2010.

 

Back to Top

 

   
Holcombe-Jimison Farmstead
Holcombe-Jimison House

HOLCOMBE-JIMISON HOUSE AND FARMSTEAD

Mary Lou Crabtree , President

1605 Daniel Bray Highway, Route 29
Lambertville, NJ 08530

Phone: 609-397-2752
Website: www.holcombe-jimison.org

Holcombe-Jimison House, under restoration, circa 1711, is thought to be the oldest standing recorded home in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Over the years, the Holcombe-Jimison 1711 House, along with its lands, survived a series of insults and losses. The digging of the Delaware and Raritan feeder canal (1830-34), laying the railroad tracks in the mid-nineteenth century, and the addition of pipelines and power lines in the twentieth century, have carved the original 300 acres down to 12. The 1711 house narrowly escaped demolition again in 1980, when planned access roads for the new Route 202 toll bridge were scrapped. After being part of the lands of William Penn, George Hutchinson and John Calowe, property records show that John Wey purchased 300 acres, including this site in 1704. It is not known if any structures were present at that point. The original, stucco-covered stone section of the house has a date stone marked 1711. It is possible it could be even older.

John Holcombe, purchased what was then a plantation in 1733. It stayed in the Holcombe family until 1858 when it was sold to settle an inheritance dispute, to John Barber. The Barbers farmed it from 1865 until Milo and Rachel Jimison bought it in 1950. In 1968 they deeded 20 acres to the Hunterdon Historical Society with life rights. The Society then deeded it to the newly-formed, non-profit Holcombe-Jimison Farmstead Corporation in 1984. Who continue to operate the museum and are currently restoring the 1711 house.

TOUR OF THE 1711 HOUSE
Enter the door on the right and proceed into the kitchen and then into the center room. Take a look at the "original" fireplace (discovered behind a wall) which has been restored. The original chimney from 1700 is still intact. The Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission provided a grant to aid in the restoration of the ceiling beams and kitchen floor. When replacing the kitchen floor, a cistern was discovered that was dated 1899. It can be seen through a Plexiglas cover installed during the renovations. The restoration is a lengthy and expensive proposition.

THE FARMSTEAD
This facility includes the large 1891 bank barn that houses an extensive collection of area artifacts dealing with life and farming in the region. There are also two large barns displaying farm equipment, a general store, a post office, a blacksmith's forge, a 20th century belt driven machine shop, and a print shop.

Regular hours: Sundays 1pm to 4pm during May through October
Also open all Wednesdays from 9am to noon for volunteers/guests
Donations for Adults are $5.00, children under 5 are free

Some buildings are ADA accessible

 

Back to Top

 

 

Hunterdon Museum of ArtHUNTERDON ART MUSEUM

Marjorie Frankel Nathanson, Executive Director

7 Lower Center Street
Clinton, NJ 08809-1303

Phone: 908-735-8415, Fax: 908-735-8416
Email: info@hunterdonartmuseum.org
Website: www.hunterdonartmuseum.org

The Hunterdon Museum of Art presents changing exhibitions of contemporary art, craft and design in a 19th century stone mill listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Founded in 1952, the Museum is a landmark regional art center showcasing works by established and emerging contemporary artists. It also offers a dynamic schedule of art classes and workshops for children and adults, and a popular summer camp program.

Gallery Hours: Tues- Sun, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Office Hours: Tues. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; 

Admission: Suggested donation $5. Barrier-free.

 

Back to Top

 

   

Marshall HouseJAMES WILSON MARSHALL HOUSE

60 Bridge Street
Lambertville NJ 08530

Phone: 609-397-0770
Email:info@lambertvillehistoricalsociety.org
Website: www.lambertvillehistoricalsociety.org

The Marshall House, on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places, was the boyhood home of James Wilson Marshall, discoverer of gold in California in 1848, and is now the headquarters of the Lambertville Historical Society. The Federal brick structure was built in 1816 by his father, Philip Marshall, a member of one of the oldest families in New Jersey and by marriage to John Hart, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Four rooms are open to the public; furnished with donated local furniture; costumes and shad fishing displays. Open 1-4 pm weekends, last weekend in April through October; and by appointment throughout the year.

The house originally sat on "44 perches of land" (about 5 acres), and included a brick kitchen, two-story back addition with first and second floor porches, a wheelwright and wagon shop, barn and smokehouse. The family sold the property at Philip's death in 1834 and in 1882 Hugh Ely sold the property to St. John's Roman Catholic Church for a convent. In 1964, Mrs. Alice Narducci enlisted the help of local residents and persuaded the church to deed the Marshall House to the N.J. Dept. of Conservation & Economic Development for preservation purposes in 1967 rather than tear it down. The State leased the Marshall House, unrestored, to the newly born Lambertville Historical Society.

 

Back to Top

 

 

Oak Summit SchoolOAK SUMMIT SCHOOL

Cynthia Niciecki, Treasurer

Oak Summit School Historical Society
PO Box 18
Baptistown, NJ

Phone: 908-996-4695

The structure that stands today replaced the original 1849 one-room schoolhouse. It functioned as a school until 1951. In addition to restoring the schoolhouse in 1979, the Oak Summit School Historical Society furnished it with authentic slate blackboards, a wood stove, old desks, text books, etc. to the way it appeared in the 1930s when 35-40 K-12 students attended.

Call for schedule of demonstrations and tours.

 

Back to Top

 

   

Prallsville MillsTHE PRALLSVILLE MILLS COMPLEX

Eleven historic buildings including the Grist Mill, Sawmill, Linseed Mill, John Prall Manor House, 1850’s River House 33, 29 & 24 Risler Street Stockton
Edie Shriner Sharp, Director

Delaware River Mill Society at Stockton
PO Box 298 (Rt. 29 N)
Stockton, NJ 08559-0298

Phone: (609) 397-3586
Fax: 609-397-3913
Email: drms@netcarrier.com
Website: www.drms-stockton.org

The Prallsville Mills complex is a significant surviving representation of the 18th, 19th and early 20th century American village industrial complex. It provides insight into the close interdependence of the development of farming and industrial manufacturing operations with improvements of transportation options spanning our nation’s history using the river, canal, roads and railways. The Prallsville Mills has been listed on the New Jersey State Register of Historic Places since 1976 and the National Register of Historic Places since 1979. The Prallsville Mills complex is located within the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park in Stockton, NJ.

At one time, the Delaware River region was dotted with mills of every size and variety. Our nation’s economic growth was strong because of the variety of industries these mills provided. It was a time when the prevalent technology meant that if you had water, you had a source of power. The very nature of this form of technology also carried its own risks; as all those mills were located in flood plains. It is not surprising, then, that not many of these grand mills that helped build the economic strength of the area still exist.

Today the Prallsville Mills is a resource for a wide variety of cultural, arts and community activities while also providing docent tours of the Mill Complex. The Prallsville Mills site is a perfect example of how our historic sites can remain an active asset to the community today while preserving and explaining or country’s story of economic growth in relation our natural resources, transportation development and technology.

Membership is open to the public.

Cultural, educational and social events.

Regular docent tours: Monday-Thursday from 1-4 pm mid-June to mid-September
Or by appointment, Group tours available
There is no entrance fee – suggested donation of $3 per person

Group tours can be scheduled year round by emailing drms@netcarrier.com.

 

Back to Top

 

 

The Red Mill of ClintonRED MILL MUSEUM VILLAGE

Eileen K. Morales, Executive Director

56 Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809

Phone: (908) 735-4101
Email Director: director@theredmill.org
Email General Info: hhmredmill@yahoo.com
Website: www.theredmill.org

Set on the banks of the South Branch with high limestone cliffs behind it, the circa 1810 Red Mill has become one of the most familiar and photographed landmarks in Hunterdon County - and in the state. The nine acre site listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places includes the historic Red Mill, the Mulligan Quarry and its outbuildings, the Bunker Hill Schoolhouse, a working blacksmith shop, a general store, a reproduction 18 th century log cabin, a herb garden and a screen house. Carriage sheds display large pieces of 19 th century agricultural equipment. The Museum's collection includes 40,000 artifacts of Hunterdon County domestic, industrial and commercial history.

Regular hours: January to March: (weather permitting) : Saturday and Sunday, 12:00 to 4:00 p.m.; April to September and November to December: Tuesday to Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Sunday,  12:00 to 5:00 p.m.; October: Open only for the Haunted Village fundraiser on select days.

Closed Mondays, New Year’s Day, Easter Sunday, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve.

Special programs include weekend festivals, blacksmith demonstrations, guided tours, drop-in workshops, and lectures. Friends of the Red Mill and the Gen. George W. Taylor Civil War Round Table offer monthly programs. School and camp field trips, and guided tours for such groups as Scouts, community organizations, and business associations, available by appointment throughout the year. Site available for rentals, including wedding ceremonies and receptions. Individual, family and leadership memberships available. Volunteers needed in a variety of capacities, including with visitor services, programs, and landscaping.

 

Back to Top

 

 

READINGTON TOWNSHIP MUSEUMS

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 216
Stanton, NJ 08885-0216

Phone: (908) 236-2327
Fax: (908) 236-2306
website: www.township.readington.nj.us

The Readington Museums (Bouman-Stickney Farmstead, Cold Brook School, Eversole-Hall House, and Taylor's Mill) were established to promote an understanding and appreciation of Readington's history and culture through education, research, preservation, collection, and interpretation. The properties constituting the Museums are intended to be utilized as educational living history experiences for the community; to provide an appropriate setting for interpreting and preserving collections of artifacts relating to the history of the Township; and to offer an historic venue for a broad range of activities for Readington residents, such as educational programs, community cultural events and meetings of groups interested in local history. The Museum organization is governed by a Museum Committee, created by ordinance and appointed by the Township Committee to oversee programs and restoration projects that take place on the properties.

Museum Committee:
James Horvath, Chair
Betty Ann Fort, Vice Chair
Erin Brennan, Committee Member
Helen Farrant, Committee Member
Joyce Lykes, Committee Member
Nancy O’Malley, Committee Member

Historic Preservation Comittee:
Patricia Fisher-Olsen, Chair

 

Back to Top

 

 

Bouman-Stickney FarmsteadBOUMAN-STICKNEY FARMSTEAD
Readington Township Museums

Location Address:
114 Dreahook Road, Stanton, NJ
website: www.township.readington.nj.us

Situated on 68 acres, the Bouman-Stickney Farmstead is home to a 1741 Dutch stone bank house, a restored 19th Century double corn crib and a restored 1820 New World Dutch Barn.

This site has two stories to tell - as a colonial farmstead and as the weekend and vacation retreat of Broadway celebrities Howard Lindsay and Dorothy Stickney.

The Farmstead plays host to the 1st grade Partners in History Program, Sunday Samplers, gardening and other educational programs. As with the other properties, the Farmstead is frequently open for demonstrations, exhibits, and tours.

Back to Top

 

 

Cold Brook School - Readington MuseumsCOLD BROOK SCHOOL
Readington Township Museums

Location Address:
Potterstown Road

Website: www.township.readington.nj.us

Cold Brook School is a restored 1828 stone one-room school house. It is the site of the 4th grade Partners in History program, and is the site of frequent Open Houses, tours and demonstrations.

 

Back to Top

 

   

Eversole-Hall HouseEVERSOLE-HALL HOUSE
Readington Township Museums

Location Address:
511 Route 523
Whitehouse Station

website: www.township.readington.nj.us

The Eversole-Hall House is a complex consisting of a restored farmhouse and four outbuildings interpreting the 1830s. The house contains Master Hall's shoemaker's shop as well. The site is the home of the annual Fall Frolic family day, the 5th grade Partners in History program, and summer camp sessions for students entering grades 5-8. Open Houses, tours and demonstrations are held frequently.

 

Back to Top

 

 

Taylor's Mill TAYLOR ’S MILL
Readington Township Museums

Location Address:
Corner of Rockaway Road and Taylor's Mill Road

website: www.township.readington.nj.us

The Readington Museums' Committee next restoration project is a 1760 stone grist mill which was built and operated by Col. John Taylor. It is reported that grain from this mill supplied General Washington's army during the Revolution.

 

Back to Top

 

 

Readington Train StationREADINGTON TRAIN STATION

Route 523
White House Station, NJ 08889

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 1892 building was a former NJ Central Railroad Station. Designed in the H.H. Richardson style by Bradford Gilbert, it is characterized by heavy, rough-cut stone exterior, broad roof planes, and arched entryways. Painstakingly restored by the community in 1981, it now serves as the Readington Township Public Library. A visit to the "ladies waiting room" is a must!

 

Back to Top

 

   

Fleming Castle

SAMUEL FLEMING HOUSE Museum & Garden
(formerly Fleming Castle)

Kelli Dochterman, Pres., Board of Trustees
5 Bonnell Street, Flemington, NJ 08822
Phone: 908-782-4607
Email: fleminghousemusem@gmail.com
Website: fleminghousemuseum.org

The Samuel Fleming House (located at 5 Bonnell Street) was built in 1756 by Samuel Fleming.  Samuel Fleming was a tavern keeper, and the town of Flemington is named for him.

The Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.) owned the house from 1927 until 2005 when Flemington Borough purchased the building from the D.A.R. with the goal of operating a local history museum.  The Friends of Fleming Castle was formed to administer the museum as a Board of Trustees.  The mission of the Friends of Fleming Castle is to maintain and preserve the structure and content of the Samuel Fleming House and grounds and to provide it as a museum, open to the public.  Their goal is to provide an historic interpretation of life in early Flemington through guided tours, historically accurate displays, educational programs, museum events, as well as participation in community events.  School programs have been developed in coordination with school curriculum, particularly the 2nd and 5th grades.  Several new displays have been added in 2015.

An "Open House" is hosted the second Saturday of each month from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 pm with speakers, activities, and tours of the building and grounds conducted by the trained docents.  A beautiful terraced garden is also part of the tour.  It is used for outdoor programs and is available for weddings and parties.

The Board of Trustees meets on the Second Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Samuel Fleming House.  The Samuel Fleming House Museum & Gardens "Recipes to Remember" cook book is available for a cost of $10.00.  2015 is the Museum’s tenth anniversary year and a commemorative Cat’s Meow model of the Samuel Fleming House is available for a cost of $15. 

Please contact the museum to purchase either item.

 

Back to Top

 

 

The Station at Califon THE STATION AT CALIFON

Donald E. Freibergs, Curator
PO Box 424
25 Academy Street
Califon, NJ 07830-0424

Phone: 908-832-2941

The 1875 railroad station is the headquarters and museum of the Califon Historical Society. Located in the heart of Califon's National Register Historic Site District, the station was constructed of locally quarried stone by town volunteers

. Hours: First and third Sundays of each month, 1 - 3 p.m., May through December. Free admission.

 

Back to Top

 

 

Township of Lebanon Museum at New HamptonTOWNSHIP OF LEBANON MUSEUM AT NEW HAMPTON

Joan Lucas, Curator

57 Musconetcong River Road
Hampton, NJ 08827

Phone: (908) 537-6464

Constructed as a one-room schoolhouse in 1825; a second story and extension were added in the 1870's. It was used as a school until 1929. Today the first floor of the museum is a re-creation of a 19 th century schoolroom, with original books, blackboards, desks, and a potbellied stove. The second floor contains a lecture and exhibit area, including a permanent Lenape Indian collection. Programs, exhibits, and demonstrations are held monthly. During the school year, elementary school children are invited to experience a School Day - c. 1870.

Hours: Tuesday, Thursday, 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Saturday, 1 - 5 p.m.

 

Back to Top

 

 

Financial support for the Hunterdon County Cultural & Heritage Commission´s general operations and programs is made possible in part by a grant from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts.
NJSCADiscover NJ Arts
 
ADA Accessibility Statement  

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________
 www.co.hunterdon.nj.us | Hunterdon County Planning Board | Cultural and Heritage Commission

Home About Us Commissioners Publications Resources Contact Us